Monday 28 February 2011

The grand scheme of things

It didn't feel right writing anything else without mentioning the late Dean Richards, I'm in no position to write an obituary or anything, so I'm speaking only as a football fan and the effect it had on me...




Logging onto the BBC website on Saturday, the words 'Ex-defender Richards dies aged 36', struck an immediate cord. Hardly an uncommon surname but, immediately I knew it would be ex-Tottenham, Wolves and Southampton defender Dean Richards, such were the troubles he had at the close of his career. 

Richards' death hits home hard because, although he never played a starring role at White Hart Lane, it is the first loss of a team that I grew up watching. 

Now and again, days come along when one of football's old boys passes away and it's sad but you know they had a great career. 

I'm approaching my 30s and, sad as it is to say, I have always dreaded the day that Gazza became the first big tragedy from my Spurs-supporting life. 

The fact that it's Dean Richards severely upsets any natural order and, all of a sudden, the fact that he was so young and the cause was ultimately undiagnosed, makes a generation of everyday football fans feel all that more vulnerable.

Over time, you learn to deal with certain hardships as a football fan. Inititally, as a youngster, seeing your favourite player leave your football team leaves you in tears, convinced for a short while that life can never be the same.

Then there's that dented pride as players younger than you get called up for England and you realise that the dream of scoring the winner in the World Cup final has once and for all passed you by.

News of Richards' passing takes these hardships to a new level and caused a lump in my throat. 

I never knew the man himself, so could never do justice to him with a tribute, but on a personal level it's a reminder that life's moved on from the days when seeing the ball hit the back of the net was the only thing that mattered. It's another rung of the long ladder of growing up and it's a reminder to make the most of what you have while you have it.

From what I've read in the past few days, Richards certainly made the most of what he had and never gave up his involvement in something that he loved dearly. For that, he, his family and anyone who knew him should be very proud.

2 comments:

Rossifer said...

It's a nice article and a terrible shame about Dean Richards. I had the pleasure to see him play for both Tottenham and during his better days as a defender for Southampton. He looked a class act back then and I was sure the move to Spurs would propel him into the England setup at some point. Sadly, as we all know this didn't work out.

I imagine the send off he will get from both Wolves and Spurs fans at the next game will be a touching moment.

Taxi For Maicon said...

There have been a number of suggestions as to how best to pay tribute to Richards on Sunday, whatever they choose, I'm sure it will be a fitting send off as he was well-liked within the game.

Post a Comment